Some of the earliest surveying in this area was done under the order of Lord Dunmore, Governor of Virginia. He sent surveyors into this area to chart public lands so it could be used to pay soldiers for service in the French and Indian War. After the Revolution, many came into Kentucky to claim the land that had been given them for their service in the War.
The early explorers called it “Buffalo Stamping Ground” and was probably first seen by William McConnell and Charles LeCompte in 1775. Stamping Ground is located on the Alanant-o-wamiowee Trail or “Buffalo Path”. This trail had been established ages ago and was an ancient migratory route since prehistoric times.
Anthony Lindsay chose a site just outside of city limits for his station about 1790. It was a refuge and a regular stop for travelers and traders. It consisted of three log cabins and a stockade to hold livestock. Lindsay was a veteran of the French and Indian War and a Revolutionary War Patriot. Lindsay’s Station has a historical marker indicating its site and Lindsay’s grave is 100 yds. north. Some of Lindsay’s descendants moved to Missouri and his great-grandson was one of the most notorious outlaws in American history, his name was Jesse James. The house where Jesse James’ parents were wed still stands and is in the Stamping Ground area.
It is not known when or by whom the first settlement was made within the city limits itself. Even though the area had been settled since 1790, the town was not incorporated until 1834 by an Act approved at that time. Five trustees were to be elected in March by the citizens of the town. These trustees were to appoint a clerk and a chairman. They were to fix metes and bounds, lay out streets and alleys and cross streets and record these in the County Clerk’s Office in Georgetown.
Stamping Ground took its name from the fact that in the first settlement of the county the herds of buffalo used to congregate at the salt springs. They tramped or stamped down the soil for a great distance around the spring as they stood under the shade of the trees waiting to get water. The town grew up around this spring called “Buffalo Springs”.
The town of Stamping Ground was laid out in 1817 on land which had been purchased by Joseph and Scott Herndon. Scott Herndon died before he and his brother could develop their plans for the town which they planned to call “Herndonville”.
Alexander Bradford, Rodes Smith, and Mareen Duvall were the three commissioners who laid off and sold the building lots in the new town of Stamping Ground in 1817.