Industry

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
  • IMG_0889     In 1790 a road was cut from Georgetown to Cincinnati by way of Stamping Ground.  By 1820 there was a tavern in the town.  In 1837 a mail route went from Georgetown to Ghent once a week.

  •      In 1837 the Stamping Ground Hotel was used for a voting place.  Scott County 1870 census showed the Stamping Ground vicinity had a population of 1,600 people.

  •      By the year 1882 Stamping Ground had grown to the largest city in the precinct.  There were 300 residents and the city had four stores, two blacksmith shops, one school with 45 students, one distillery, one hotel, one undertaker, 1 photographer, four doctors, two churches, a colored school and church, a Masonic Lodge and a woolen factory.*

  •      By 1904 Stamping Ground had doubled to 600 citizens.  There were 65 residences, 12 businesses, three hotels, two banks, three churches, gasoline street lights, a public school with three teachers.*

  •      During this time, the City had two saloons and they each contributed $500.00 a year to run the city so there were no city taxes.*

  •   IMG_0935  IMG_1839 The first known distillery in Stamping Ground was in 1868.  All distilleries were closed by prohibition in 1918.  After the repeal of prohibition construction was begun on October 23, 1933 on the Buffalo Springs Distillery.  The last whiskey was barreled at Stamping Ground in February1960.  The warehouses were used as storage for Schenely until they were emptied in 1968.  The Dollar General Store now stands on the grounds of the former distillery.

  •      The former distillery building was the site of a woolen mill in 1864.  In 1868 it was turned into a distillery.  There were numerous mills in the area.  These included a flouring mill on the waters of North Elkhorn; a saw and grist mill located on Lytle’s Fork, a woolen mill; a grist mill on South Elkhorn and a paper mill with a flouring mill attached. During WWII the distillery received railcars full of potatoes from Idaho and were used in the manufacturing of butyl rubber for the war effort.

  •      Through the years Stamping Ground has had a fluctuating population.  Before the tornado of April 3, 1974, the town was growing faster than it could take care of the many people wanting to live in this area.  The tornado almost completely destroyed the town and much of the surrounding territory.

  •      Telephones were first installed in Stamping Ground about 1910.  Dial telephones were installed in 1939, the first in Scott County.

  •      Water works system was ready for use in the city limits in 1936.IMG_1843

  •      A jail was located near the Buffalo Springs and was built approx.  1880-1890. It was a two cell jail and prisoners either paid their fines or worked on the streets in the early history of the town.

  •      The first Post Office in Stamping Ground was established in June 1816. 

  •      Electricity was in town about 1915 by W.D. “Mr. Bill” Adams setting up an electric company of his own.  Later in 1919, the Stamping Ground Electric Company was formed with stockholders and operated for 75 years.

  •      Frankfort and Cincinnati Railroad was routed through Stamping Ground under the name of the Paris, Georgetown and Frankfort Railway company in 1871.  It became the Kentucky Midland Railroad Company in 1888 with the first train passing through on its way to Georgetown in 1889.*

  •      The name was changed to F&C Railway Company in 1897, and in 1927 to F&C Railroad Company.  The F&C was discontinued after serving this and other communities for 99 years.*

 

 

* This information was taken from 1790 Stamping Ground, Kentucky 1990 Celebrating 200 Years of Pride and Progress  Sponsored by the Stamping Ground Ruritan Club

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube