Within Stamping Ground and the surrounding area there are numerous sites of historical interest. Much of the information in this section is taken from Ann Bevin’s research on the buildings of Scott County as published in the Echoes of The Past published by the Stamping Ground Women’s Club.
The John Scott Home is probably the oldest home in the whole area near Stamping Ground. This home was built near McConnell’s Run.
The Alexander Bradford House on Main Street was the only old house left standing in Stamping Ground after the 1974 tornado. Alexander Bradford became the Stamping Ground Postmaster in 1814. He was also clerk of the Baptist Church and in 1821 he received a license to operate on “ordinary” or tavern in the house.
The Henry Hockensmith house on Cedar Pike is believed to be the oldest house in the vicinity of Stamping Ground. It was a three-bay and one and one-half story log house with huge stone chimneys at either end. The house was built in 1790 which is the same year Stamping Ground was founded. This house was still standing until mostly destroyed by fire a few years ago.
A Kentucky Historical highway marker indicates the spot where once stood Anthony Lindsey’s Station in the Stamping Ground community on Owenton Road. It is located just outside of city limits. It consisted of three log cabins with a stockade to hold livestock. During Indian raids neighboring families and stock would seek protection in the fort and travelers would stop there, too.
Approximately a third of a mile out Locust Fork Road is the home where the parents of the famous outlaw Jesse James were married. Jesse James’ father, Robert received a Master’s Degree in 1847 and was respected as a minister and leader in education in Missouri. He passed away in 1850, when Frank James was seven and Jesse James was only three years old.