Stamping Ground and the surrounding vicinity has numerous churches of various religions.
In 1795 a church was organized in the neighborhood of Stamping Ground by the Baptist denomination. It was first called the McConnell’s Run Church and had 35 members. According to Stamping Ground Baptist Church records, McConnell’s Run Church was moved to Stamping Ground to facilitate a union with the LeCompte’s Run Church in 1819.
The Stamping Ground Christian Church was organized about 1826. During worship service on February 5, 1911 the building caught fire and was destroyed. Only the pews were saved to be used in the new building.
On January 28, 1855 the African Baptist Church was completed. In 1866 the church voted to be known as First Baptist Church. The First Baptist Church is one of the oldest churches on this side of the Allegheny Mountains. The church was destroyed by fire in 1906 and had to be rebuilt.
All three of these churches were destroyed by the April 3, 1974 tornado but all have been rebuilt. The 1962 addition to the Stamping Ground Christian Church was not destroyed by the tornado.
The Stamping Ground Church of God was established in 1982 meeting in building on Main Street. The current church was built in 1985 on Locust Fork Road.
The Faith Tabernacle Church currently meets in the building located on Main Street.
Redemption Road Community Church in the winter months meets in the Ruritan Bldg Upper Room located on Main St. In the warmer months of the year you can find them in the City Park also located right off of Main St. They meet Sunday afternoons at 2pm and invite all churches to join them to worship together as a community. www.redemptionroadcc.com
Some of the churches in the outlaying areas of Stamping Ground include, Long Lick Baptist Church, est. 1805; Corinth Christian Church, est. 1833; Minorsville Christian Church, est. 1854; Cedar Grove Baptist Church, est. 1877; and Watkinsville Baptist Church, estimated est. 1878.