Stamping Ground’s FFA

In December 1933 the Stamping Ground FFA chapter conducted typhoid testing which proved the local water was not safe to drink.

The city leaders presented a bond issue, acquired WPA funding, and built a water treatment plant. They also worked out a water rights agreement with the distillery. In return for maintaining the Buffalo Spring, pipes, and troughs, the distillery could use the water the city did not need.

The city’s water supply improved again in 1936 after city leaders secured an easement from L.G. Stone to pump water from the Threlkeld-Reynolds mill dam on the North Elkhorn (on Woodlake Road). Water was pumped to the new 90 feet tall concrete standpipe constructed by the FFA.

from A History of Scott County by Ann Bevins. Photos by John Patrick